Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mummy's New Toy

I indirectly bought a new toy few weeks ago.  Why I mentioned indirectly? Well, I actually used my credit card points to exchange for a Lebensstil bread maker.  I was very eager to start baking and I thought since it's homemade bread I might as well make it healthy all the way so I bought some organic flour.  I even bought plain white bread flour and wholemeal! The day that I bought the ingredients I can't wait to start baking.  I dug out the weighing scale and what not and started putting everything inside the baking pan as per the instructions that came with the bread maker.  Tick..tock..tick...tock walking in and out of the kitchen peeping through the window on the machine I thought...oooh looking good! However, I remembered my mum told me that baking bread at home will make your house smell like a bakery but all I can smell is yeast!

Tick..tock..tick..tock...the whole process takes 3 hours by the way I still smell yeast! The moment it was done I quickly took it out and I was so disappointed.  The bread did not rise as much as I imagine and the smell was definietly nothing like bread.  Therefore, attempt no 1 FAILED!

Attempt number two I tried wholemeal instead.  Went through the whole process as per the instruction and this round I even tested the delay baking.  Delay baking means you calculate how many hours later you want your bread to be ready from the time you press start.  The delay baking was perfect.  My bread was ready at 7.30am as per what I've calculated but this round my bread did not rise!! My bread end up resembles a banana cake! Attempt no 2 FAILED miserably!

After two attempts I complained to my mum and dad and decided to pass the machine to them to have a go.  I even pass them the yeast and flour.  They were also eager to start baking and at their first attempt the bread was so delicious!! After one week of having the bread machine my dad decided to return it to me with recipe and instructions.  All this while I did not activate the yeast! Lousy instructions from the machine! Anyway, my parents even bought me high protein bread flour, wholewheat, yeast and mix grain that include physillium husk, flaxseed and linseed.

Again, I waited till we finish the loaf of bread at home and started baking white bread.  This time I let the yeast to activate.  Waited for 10 minutes no reaction! It's suppose to be bubbles but I do not see any bubbles! So I waited and started stiring the mixture and end up waiting for 30minutes! I knew something is not right but I still continue and as expected my bread rise just a little bit more compare to the "banana cake" but the texture is still lacking.  However, this round the bread taste much more like a bread.

My last attempt was just two days back.  I decided that I'm going to go all out this time.  Wholemeal + mix grain.  If I fail again, I'm going to give my parents the machine and get them to bake me the bread instead! I started with activating the yeast..waited 10 minutes looking good! Put in the rest of the ingredients and started baking and YES this time my house smells like a bakery and the bread rised! Yayy!! I'm so happy that I can't wait to bake another one when I have the time.  I plan to take photos the next round I'm baking.  Honestly, after having homemade bread you wouldn't want to have any commercial bread anymore! The bread is so soft and fluffy even after 2 days!

1 comment: